Mom and Dad loved to dance...their song was Satin Doll.

News Events Dad Remembered:
*Man landing on the moon was the “greatest day I can remember.”
*WWII-he remembers President Roosevelt coming on the radio and announcing the declaration of war-December 7, 1941
*Ration stamps for food, meat and gas
*Grandma not being able to get silk stockings-they used silk to make parachutes for the war
*“meatless Tuesdays”
*crazy celebrations all over the place when the war ended
*TV being invented-grandma and grandpa got a black and white circular TV when he was in the service.
Dad’s Faves:
Vaction-crusing
Season-fall
Food-spaghetti
Sport-football
Color-blue
Singer-Frank Sinatra
TV Show-Law and Order
Book-anything by James Patterson
List something you wish you would have done:
Stayed in the service longer
Played more hockey instead of football
In 2004, Dad turned 70! Rosalie threw him a surprise birthday party at her house. The whole gang was there and we had a great time.




Daryl said Dad had "daily interjections out of the blue, that made me laugh."

Aunt Maryann said that dad never went anywhere without bringing her back a little gift. They were 8 years apart, but she said they were very close. They never argued or said a harsh word to the other. Dad shared all his secrets with Aunt Maryann-like who he was dating in high school. She remembers dad making popcorn on the stove and listening to mysteries on the radio together. Here is more from Aunt Maryann...
"Dad always talked about the love he had for his children/stepchildren and grandchildren. He always loved kids and their actions. He shared his love with his nephews, Rick & David. When they were old enough to sit through a hockey game, he would take each one to dinner and game for their birthday. What a treat for them. Both have fond memories of those times with Uncle Dom.
I have shared with you before that while in Korea he would always ask Gram & Gramps to include treats for the children when they were sending him a package. One package even included gram's homemade spaghetti sauce, packed in a loaf of Italian bread with center dug out, and spaghetti, which he and his buddies cooked in a pail.
As you know, he was my favorite brother(only one)--we had a wonderful life in our comfortable home filled with so much love, good food and many relatives and friends. My big brother and his friends always kept track of where I was. Of course, I helped him too, especially when he was coming in late, I would hear him come, and get out of bed and unlock the door so grandpa and grandma would not hear him. Our parents were very strict with us--we were raised very European.
Dad always kept me informed about his children and grandchildren. His children were his wealth, and be assured of his love for you!
On another note--when I had gram here, dad was so concerned about my health and if it was too much for Uncle Rich & I. When he came to Colorado and saw Gram, he knew Gram was more content than she realized. When we went up to the Rocky Mts, he was just like a little kid--and he said, I never dreamed I would be up in the Rockies with my 90 yr. old mom!
His visits here were few but wonderful! Dad enjoyed our "Little Maggie" and enjoyed sitting in the chair at night with the dog nest to him."











No comments:
Post a Comment