
This month marks the 1 year anniversary of Dad's passing. I know this is a difficult time for all of our family. Something I have found to help me get through the tough times, is to remember.
A few years ago, I gave Mom and Dad a notebook with questions about their lives. I loved going through it and other older items, hearing stories and doing online research. Please make corrections and add comments to his story. Here is a glimpse into his life…
Dad was born on June 25, 1934 to Francesco (Frank) Radoccia and Rosa (Rose) Mary (Farina) Radoccia at St. James Hospital in Hornell, NY.
He grew up on 80 Front Street in Hornell. He had a good relationship with his parents. Dad described Grandma as the “sweetest, most loving and caring person I ever met.""She was caring and concerned about other people, loving and gentle."
"Grandpa was always working - either at his job or at home."
"He wrote letters for other people because he could read and write English."
"They liked to socialize.”
Dad's favorite childhood memory was traveling to Reading, PA to see his Grandma and Grandpa Farina. This was a 17 hour train ride so they only did it once a year. Dad also remembers going to the world’s fair one time and getting lost. “Grandma was beside herself until I was found.”
Dad graduated from St. Ann’s Academic Elementary School (27 Erie Avenue, Hornell, NY) on June 24, 1948 and Hornell High School on June 23, 1952. His grades were so-so.
Going through some of Dad’s yearbooks, made me realize how much he loved to joke around and have fun! He described them as “great” days. His nickname was “Sylvester” and he was known to be a flashy dresser! I wasn’t surprised to find out that he was very active in high school. He was a member of the student council, Senior Ball and Prom Committee. He also was Homeroom President and Treasurer and played Varsity football, JV Basketball, baseball, and was on the bowling and track teams. Oddly enough, he was never part of the choir! In his yearbook, there is a section where your fellow classmates fill something out about you. Dad’s goes like this:
Most likely to be found - telling jokes
Likes - the boys
Probably will be - “Lucky” Luciano II (a Sicilian mobster!)
Dad broke his left leg in gym class on the springboard. The following year, while playing JV football as a guard, Dad again broke his left leg during the first game in a “trap” play. Those 2 breaks caused dad to have a ½ inch shorter left leg.
During high school, Dad had a part time job at the “men’s shop” as a stockboy. He also enjoyed frequent trips to NYC to see baseball games. Baseball Old Timers Day was a favorite of his.
2 comments:
I love this, Kristen - thank you so much. I know I'm going to learn lots about Dom, some that will be surprising and some that will just seem like "Dom"! Thank you for doing this for all of us - it's really awesome. This was all great information! I can't wait for the other parts! Love, Tracy
I just love this......so proud of you Kristen! Grief work is so hard, and I believe this is one of the most effective ways for you to honor and remember your parents lives. It blesses all of us! Love, Jeanne
Post a Comment