Sunday, July 13, 2008
Grandma and Grandpa Radoccia
I loved visiting my grandparents in Hornell, NY. I was telling Daryl that I remember their house and them so vividly. I feel like I could walk into the house now and set it up just like it was. Of course, I was little, so everything I remember was big and different. I always thought there house was big with many rooms. Looking back now though, I realize that they lived in a modest home on Front Street. It was warm and welcoming. Most of the street was Italian and everyone was somehow related, or so they said. I remember meeting new people everytime I was there. They would squeeze my cheeks and tell me they were my cousin. That always confused me! Their house had a nice size porch and I often remember just sitting out there with Grandpa. It was quiet and peaceful. You walked further back on the porch to enter the house-a screened door that was always unlocked. It had a certain scent that just made it grandma and grandpa's house. Right as you walked in there was a seat with a little table attached to the side of it. There sat one of my favorite things-the rotary phone. I could spend a long time dialing numbers on that thing. I thought it was soooo cool! When you walked into the house, you entered the dining room. Grandma's large table took up most of the room. I loved the items in her china cabinet-they were always so different looking. I looked, but never touched of course. In the dining room was a painting of Italy Joe had done for them and other decorations I'm sure. Grandma had a mirror on one wall and in the corners she would tuck cards that were sent to her, or other little notes. Off the dining room, was a bedroom-the only one on the first floor. Towards the front of the house was the family room. I remember the photographs of the grandkids hanging on the wall and a standing ash tray-almost like a planter-that was next to the chair. They never smoked, but it was their none the less. On top of their console TV was a silver train bank. My grandpa worked on the railroad. Each time I was there, he would empty out the train and give me the change. That was exciting! In the back of the house was the kitchen-grandma's favorite room in the house. Again, the table took up a large part of the kitchen. I remember her perkulator that she used to brew coffee on the stove, the red pepper that hung over their sink (it was some Italian thing to ward off evil I think) that now hangs in my kitchen and I remember their trash can. It was the kind that you stepped on the bottom and the lid popped open. I loved that thing and was the first to throw away any garbage. It was in the kitchen where we spent most of the time. The neighbors also gathered in their kitchen. They were all around the age of my grandparents and could spend all day talking, eating and laughing around the kitchen table. Grandma always had her cooking smock on over her clothes and always was cooking something-mainly spaghetti. My grandma made homemade spaghetti and sauce. She would do it all by hand-not even using the simplest of modern things like pasta cutters. That was the best spaghetti I ever had....it was so delicious and so filling! We ate it everytime we were there. Along with the pasta, we had her famous meatballs. We didn't use plates, but large, shallow bowls. She also always had a salad which she made oil and vinegar dressing. MMM!! Grandpa always added crushed red pepper which he made from his garden. He would always shout out during dinner "Mange, Mange" "eat, eat!." He said that especially to my mom, who wasn't a big eater. The red pepper he said would "put hair on your chest". Just what I always wanted! Grandma always had goodies for me too when we were there-ginger ale and some sort of Little Debbie item. Of course there was always homemade pitzelles or cookies too. My grandpa must have made a ton of red pepper. I remember the day when dad used the last of grandpa's red pepper at Wadsworth Ct-long after grandpa had passed....that was sad. Off the kitchen was the basement. I was kinda afraid to go down there-it was dark! When I did, you would see grandma's spaghetti hanging over a string to dry, grandpa's wine making stuff, tools and lots and lots of canned veggies from their garden. Off of the kitchen was also the side door which led out to the backyard. There backyard was primarily a garden. I remember thinking that it was soooo big that I could never imagine getting to the back of the garden. However, I'm sure if I was to see it today, it would be a lot smaller than I had thought! I loved going out with grandpa and helping in the garden. Again, it was just a peaceful thing to do. Leading to the upstairs were very steep stairs. Grandma and Grandpa's room was up there. It was a special treat to go in there. Grandma would show me her costume jewlery every now and then which made me feel special. There was also another bedroom up there. I usually slept in that room if we stayed over night. That room kinda scared me. There was a large picture of Jesus hanging over the bed. I don't remember what the picture was of, but he was sad. I never liked sleeping in their alone! The bathroom was down the hall and always smelled like grandma-kind of a rosey smell. Then there was another little room for storage at the end of the hall. I didn't go in there much. I thought the door would shut behind me and I'd be stuck in there with that scary picture of Jesus just a couple doors down! Grandma and Grandpa were sweet and loving and always pinched my cheeks. I loved their kisses and hugs. The memories I have of Hornell will be with me always. If anyone else has memories of Hornell or grandma or grandpa, please add them....I'd love to hear about it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Kristen! My memories of grandma and grandpa's house in Hornell pre-dates you, yet some are very similar! I remember going to visit and spending the weekend, usually just Laurie and I. Everything in the house is just as you remember, with just a few differences. The bedroom downstairs was for Grammooch, and she used to sit in the chair outside of it most of the day. I remember her sweet little high pitched voice muttering things I could never understand, because she didn't speak English! I also remember the closet with all of the hats - Laurie and I used to spend hours carefully taking them out of their box, trying them on and then very carefully putting them away! Walking around the neighborhood was always eventful because of all of the people you would run into that would want to stop and talk! Eating, laughing and talking were always the highlights of the very memorable weekends! Thank you for bringing me back to their home with such details - I could picture it all! Love, Tracy
Post a Comment