

Mom married Sal Oddo at Holy Angels Church on June 13, 1959. I remember mom talking about what a big wedding it was.
She had Sal on 7/10/60, John on 9/1/61, Tracy on 10/4/62, Danine on 7/17/65 and Patti on 1/30/67. She married Dad on May 12, 1979 down at the river. She had me on 6/23/79. 

Mom enjoyed "watching my children go through various stages-crawling, walking, getting teeth, talking and loosing teeth." She liked the tooth thing so much that she saved every tooth each one of us ever lost. I found them in her dresser drawer! Mom recognized that she was very overprotective, maybe a little too much. When asked to write some motherly advice she said “try not to be as overprotective as I was. Give them morals, take them to church and practice your love of the Lord in all you do, in prayer and everyday living.”
Mom loved children-those she worked with at Fletcher and her grandkids.
She enjoyed watching them grow and learn. She loved seeing them on Halloween all dressed up and always remembered their birthdays and special events.
When asked what she liked about being a grandma, mom said “I like interacting with my grandkids in ways I didn’t know before. I love their kisses and the love they show. As with my own children, I love watching them grow and mature.” 
Mom saved every child’s drawing or homemade card she ever received, she saved thank you notes written by the grandkids, letters from students she worked with and every single silly little Christmas gift that the grandkids gave her...you know, the ones the kids buy for 50 cents at school. I remember one Christmas as we were decorating I found a rusty old tin with a Christmas moose on it. I said “can we please throw this out? It’s falling apart!” She refused saying that so and so gave it to her and that she could never throw it away!
Here is a letter mom wrote to her grandkids and great grandkids:
“To my grandchildren and great grandchildren,
Always love and respect your parents regardless of your differences. Make sure God is in your life in every way-keep your morality. Do your best in everything you do. Follow your dreams-they do come true. Avoid negative people or people who could lead you in the wrong direction. Love and respect others. Live your life to its fullest, trying not to have any regrets. Choose your friends wisely. Remember cleanliness is important. Surround yourself with positive people and all the positive aspects of life. Have fun, have a healthy and happy life and enjoy your family and friends.”
Mom’s Favorites:
TV Show: Golden Girls
I also remember her loving Raymond, Law and Order
and American Idol-she always rooted for the underdogs-Mom would often go over to the Hoppe’s or call them after the show to discuss the results.
Singer: Jack Jones, Johnny Mathis
Mom loved her records. I remember when I was younger
she would make me sit and listen to her records...which I
hated, but she wanted to teach me what “real music” was.
Sandwich: Pizza sub
Food: Patti’s chicken and dumplings
Color: Blue, Peach
Vacation: Hawaii
Season: Summer
Flower: Carnation
Memories: Vacations, visiting John and his family in Florida, Macy’s Day Parade with Kristen. Every year when we watched the Thanksgiving Day parade on TV, mom would say how she always wanted to go to it. In 2003, I was living in Tarrytown, NY...about 45 minutes from the city. So, that Thanksgiving mom and dad came to visit me and mom and I planned to go to the parade. Dad was ill at the time and didn’t think he could stand walking all over the city so he stayed back to cook dinner. Mom was sooo excited-like a little girl. We took the first train into the city-I don't remember what time it was, but it was dark. We were one of the first people there and got a front row spot right by Toys R Us.
It turned out to be a pretty warm day so we didn’t freeze. We watched the whole parade and mom took pictures of literally everything that went by. I’m sure she cried at some point, because she was so happy! Back at home, we figured out that my oven didn’t work. Dad had the turkey breast in my oven for over 8 hours and it was still cold...so we ate the sides hoping that the turkey would be done later. It never made it. It was something we all laughed about for years. That was our one and only turkey-less Thanksgiving!
When were you the....
Happiest: when my children were born
Most scared: when I was told I had a malignant tumor
That was a tough day. Patti and I were with mom at Dr. Lang’s office when we first heard the diagnosis. Mom was strong and comforting Patti and I who were very upset. She never let on...
Saddest: When my mom and dad passed away
Most nervous: raising my children and worrying about them when they were not in my immediate care.
No comments:
Post a Comment