Saturday, October 1, 2011

It's a Boy!

May 17th was a great day-we found out we were pregnant! I was expecting a call from my doctor's office, but had told myself that I would not answer the phone or listen to the message while at work. I had done that several times before and it's not easy to get the bad news and finish out the rest of the day. This day I had a meeting after work and knew I had to stay focused so I was confident I would not take the call until I got home.

I got into my office at about 2:00 and saw that I had a message from the doctor's office. I just couldn't wait though! The nurse always starts out with the same dreary tone of voice which ultimately leads to "I'm sorry, the test was negative." This message was no different-still dreary, but this time she asked me to call her back at the office. "Oh no!" I thought. Something must be really wrong-they can't even tell me the bad news on the phone! I instantly called back and had to wait what seemed like forever until she came to the phone. Again-she sounded not like a person who was going to deliver good news so I was prepared for something major. Then, all the sudden, her tone of voice changed and she told me the test was positive!! I was amazed! She gave me some instructions and that was that-we were pregnant! Thank you God! Now-how was I going to wait 5 more hours until Daryl got out of work to tell him? I knew I didn't want to tell him at work. I kinda always had this plan that I would give him a box filled with I love daddy things and watch his face as he opened it and realized what it meant. I had even started collecting some items-an I love Daddy bib, Daddy and me book, etc, etc. But I couldn't wait! He knew that we were getting the results that day, so I knew he was anxious as well. We had been in the market for a new car and were leaning towards a Honda CRV. I decided to text him and tell him I had a car question and to call when he had a minute. He called right away. I was trying to talk through tears, which he thought meant I had gotten the bad news. I asked him if the CRV was big enough to hold a car seat. He said something like "of course-what car can't?" Then I said something like "well we're going to need a car big enough to hold one because you're going to be a Daddy!" (I know pretty lame how I told him-but I didn't have much time to think of anything better) He was just as surprised as me.

The first few weeks of our pregnancy (weeks 5-7) were stressful. I kept having issues, but thankfully, each time we had an ultrasound, we saw our baby! Week 5 looked like a piece of dust on the screen. Week 6 it was a little bigger spec with a visible heartbeat (a little blinking dot) and week 7 was a nice, little blob. It was definitely a scary time, but I think God was being nice to us and giving us extra glimpses of our baby. It was amazing to see the growth in just a weeks time.

At about 16 weeks I started feeling/seeing movement. I would feel a "swoosh" and then see my stomach bulge out in one area. I would sit on the couch and just stare at my stomach, hoping to catch a glimpse. Soon after, I was feeling more that just swooshes-tiny little bubbles...then we could see the little kicks, then Daryl could feel them. Now, it's our nightly entertainment. He's a mover and a kicker and I love it! Whether I'm grumpy, sleepy or frustrated at work, I feel him kick and it lights up my day. I love it! Now at 23 weeks, I can feel him everyday-mainly at night and early morning.

At 19 weeks we had our ultrasound. All looked well. It was amazing to see how much he was moving around and how much he looked like a real baby! Then we got the "money shot" and found out we we're having a son! We would have been happy with whatever it was, but somehow a son just felt right (even though everyone was guessing we were having a girl). Right after the ultrasound, we went shopping! We picked out his going home outfit and a couple other things-including a very stylish swimsuit for next summer :). That night we had Patti and Daryl's parents up for the big reveal. It included lots of tricks and jokes along the way to keep them guessing. Ultimately we told them with the last photo of our vacation pics. THe week before our ultrasound, D and I went to Las Vegas. We took 2 pictures at the Grand Canyon-one with a sign saying "It's a girl" and the other with "It's a boy."

We are so thankful for every little pregnancy symptom and event. It's hard to believe sometimes that it's really happening and that we are going to be parents! We are thankful for our journey and the things we have learned and keep learning. January 23, 2012 is the due date and we are very much looking forward to it!!

People ask if I had a feeling I was pregnant. I had analyzed my body for so many years that I thought I would have known. To be honest, I did feel a little different-but I did not link it to being pregnant. I did notice a couple of odd things-like how when I brushed my tongue in the mornings, I would gag. I used to pride myself on having a strong gag reflex (haha-I know I'm odd!). Also, one night right before we found out, D and I went out for chicken wings. I was eating a wing, and looked at it and had to put it down. It totally grossed me out. That was definitely out of character for me! But again-didn't think much of it. I really haven't had many pregnancy symptoms overall. I never got sick, but sometimes the looks or smells of foods would disgust me. I was definitely tired-so tired, that I thought I was making it up in my head. I would come home from work, sleep, barely have enough energy to put together a quick dinner, wake up for a little bit when D got home at 8:30 and then go back to sleep. I'm not a napper-so that was weird for me. Also, I ate like a horse. About every 1-2 hours I needed to eat. I would have to stop on the way home from running errands because I felt like if I didn't eat, I'd pass out. D termed it "feeding time for Kristen." Now, in the 2nd trimester, I'm feeling pretty good-no more naps and I'm eating on a regular schedule (with a few ice cream breaks in between). The only issue I am having is that I'm not sleeping well at night. I toss and turn and can't fall asleep. But, I'd take 9 months of that if it means I get to be pregnant-so no complaints here. I'm just preparing for when the baby arrives and I'm up all night anyway.






2 embryos were implanted-1 of these is our son!




Week 5 US


Week 6




Almost week 7



11.5 weeks


12 weeks-I was so happy!



July 23-the 1st day a stranger noticed I was pregnant!


14 weeks



18.5 weeks


Our son at 19 weeks!



18 weeks-I love wearing this shirt because it makes me look big


almost 22 weeks

No comments: